Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, and gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we shall have discovered fire.Pierre Teilhard De Chardin
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- Not any thing; no thing.
- an absence of anything, including empty space, brightness, darkness, matter, or a vacuum.
- (slang) Anything (in double negatives such as I didn't see nothing [= I didn't see anything]).
- Something trifling, something of no consequence.
- What happened to your face? — It's nothing.
- 1839: the players see little or nothing of their cards at first starting - Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby.
- (not any thing):
- (something trifling): nothing of any consequence, nothing consequential, nothing important, nothing significant, something inconsequential, something insignificant, something of no consequence, something trifling, something unimportant
not any thing
Elsewhere on the web