Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The ideas of a time are like the clothes of a season: they are as arbitrary, as much imposed by some superior will which is seldom explicit. They are utilitarian and political, the instruments of smooth-running government.Wyndham Lewis
See also numéral
- (RP) enPR: nyo͞o'mərəl, IPA: /ˈnjuːmərəl/, SAMPA: /'nju:m@r@l/
- (US) enPR: no͞o'mərəl, IPA: /ˈnumɜrəl/, SAMPA: /'num3r@l/
- help, file
- A word or symbol representing a number.
- The word “fifteen”, the Arabic numeral “15”, and the Roman numeral “XV” are all numerals representing the number fifteen.
- 2002 — Laurie Bauer & Rodney Huddleston, "Lexical word-formation", p1621-1722 in The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, p1715
- We use the term numeral for linguistic expressions and number for meanings. For example, five is a numeral expressing the number "5" - and fifteen hundred and one thousand five hundred are different numerals expressing the same number, "1,500".
- (word or symbol representing a number): number
word or symbol representing a number
numeral m. (plural numerais)
- (grammar) numeral (word representing a number)
- IPA: /numeˈral/
Elsewhere on the web