Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
There are two ways of being happy: We must either diminish our wants or augment our means—either may do—the result is the same and it is for each man to decide for himself and to do that which happens to be easier.Benjamin Franklin
Third person singular
- To perform a work or labor; to exert power or strength, physical or mechanical; to act.
- To produce an appropriate physical effect; to issue in the result designed by nature; especially (Med.), to take appropriate effect on the human system.
- To act or produce effect on the mind; to exert moral power or influence.
- (medicine) To perform some manual act upon a human body in a methodical manner, and usually with instruments, with a view to restore soundness or health, as in amputation, lithotomy, etc.
- To deal in stocks or any commodity with a view to speculative profits.
- To produce, as an effect; to cause.
- To put into, or to continue in, operation or activity; to work; as, to operate a machine.
- Feminine form of operato.
- second-person plural present tense of operare
- second-person plural imperative of operare
- feminine plural past participle of operare
Elsewhere on the web