Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.Franklin D. Roosevelt
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
Adjectiveopposite (not comparable)
- located directly across from something else, or from each other
- She saw him walking on the opposite side of the road.
- facing in the other direction
- They were moving in opposite directions.
- of either of two complementary or mutually exclusive things
- He has a lot of success with the opposite sex.
located directly across from
facing the other way
of complementary or mutually exclusive things
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- something opposite or contrary to another
- an opponent
- an antonym
- "Up" is the opposite of "down".
- (mathematics) an additive inverse
- in an opposite position
- I was on my seat and she stood opposite.
in an opposite position
- facing, or across from
- He lives opposite the pub.
- in a complementary role to
- He played opposite Marilyn Monroe.
in a complementary role to
Elsewhere on the web