Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- An avoirdupois ounce, weighing 1/16 of an avoirdupois pound, or 28.3495 grams.
- A troy ounce, weighing 1/12 of a troy pound, or 480 grains, or 31.1035 grams.
- A US fluid ounce, with a volume of 1/16 of a US pint, 1.804 687 cubic inches or 29.573 531 milliliters.
- A British imperial fluid ounce, with a volume of 1/20 of an imperial pint, 1.733871 cubic inches or 28.413063 milliliters.
- A little bit.
- He didn't feel even an ounce of regret for his actions.
Via French once, lonce, by false division (the l was thought to be the article), from Latin lynx, from Greek (lunx), lynx. Interestingly, the taxon of the snow leopard is a Latinisation using the root of ounce (1).
Elsewhere on the web