Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
We are not to make the ideas of contentment and aspiration quarrel, for God made them fast friends. A man may aspire, and yet be quite content until it is time to raise; and both flying and resting are but parts of one contentment. The very fruit of the gospel is aspiration. It is to the heart what spring is to the earth, making every root, and bud, and bough desire to be more. -Henry Ward Beecher
Third person singular
- To look down upon from a place that is over or above; to look over or view from a higher position; to rise above, so as to command a view of; as, to overlook a valley from a hill.
- Hence: To supervise; to watch over; sometimes, to observe secretly; as, to overlook a gang of laborers; to overlook one who is writing a letter.
- To inspect; to examine; to look over carefully or repeatedly.
- To look upon with an evil eye; to bewitch by looking upon; to fascinate.
- To look over and beyond (anything) without seeing it; to miss or omit in looking; hence, to refrain from bestowing notice or attention upon; to neglect; to pass over without censure or punishment; to excuse.
Hence: To supervise; to watch over; sometimes, to observe secretly
To inspect; to examine; to look over carefully or repeatedly
To look upon with an evil eye; to bewitch by looking upon; to fascinate
To look over and beyond (anything) without seeing it
Elsewhere on the web