Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Like bees, they must put their lives into the sting they give.Ralph Waldo Emerson
to pawn (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
- (chess) The most common chess piece, each side having eight. Moves are only forward; attacks are only forward diagonally or en passant.
- (colloquial): Someone who is being manipulated or used to some end, usually not the end that individual would prefer.
- Though a pawn of the gods, her departure is the precipitating cause of the Trojan War.
- A type of shop that allows someone to buy and sell used items.
- An item sold to a pawn shop.
- An instance of selling to a pawn shop.
someone who is being manipulated
type of shop
item sold to a pawn shop
instance of selling to a pawn shop
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Third person singular
- to sell something to a pawn shop.
- (video games) to render one's opponent as a mere pawn, especially in a real-time strategy games
- (to sell something at a pawn shop): hock
to sell something to a pawn shop
Elsewhere on the web