Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- A sense of one's own worth, and abhorrence of what is beneath or unworthy of one; lofty self-respect; noble self-esteem; elevation of character; dignified bearing; proud delight; -- in a good sense.
- The pride of the peacock is the glory of God.—William Blake
- Proud or disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing and conduct; insolent exultation; disdain; hubris.
- That of which one is proud; that which excites boasting or self-gratulation; the occasion or ground of self-esteem, or of arrogant and presumptuous confidence, as beauty, ornament, noble character, children, etc.
- A small European lamprey (Petromyzon branchialis); -- called also prid, and sandpiper.
- The quality or state of being proud; inordinate self-esteem; an unreasonable conceit of one's own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, rank, etc., which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.
- Show; ostentation; glory.
- Highest pitch; elevation reached; loftiness; prime; glory,
- to be in the pride of one's life.
- Consciousness of power; fullness of animal spirits; mettle; wantonness.
- Lust; sexual desire; esp., an excitement of sexual appetite in a female beast.
- A company of lions.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Part or all of this page has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
Third person singular
- To experience or pride.
- I pride myself on being a good judge of character, but pride goes before the fall and I'm not a good judge of my own character so I'm often wrong without knowing it and fall in with a bad crowd.
Elsewhere on the web