Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.Katherine Mansfield
- Rhymes: -əʊt
Third person singular
- (transitive) To raise someone to a more important, responsible or better paid job or rank
- He promoted his chief clerk to a position on the board.
- (transitive) To advocate or urge the adoption of something
- They promoted the abolition of daylight saving time.
- (transitive) To attempt to popularize or sell a product by advertising or publicity
- They promoted the new film with giant billboards.
- (to raise rank): demote
to raise someone to a more important, responsible or better paid job or rank
to attempt to popularize or sell a product by advertising or publicity
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web