Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- (obsolete except in dialects) the border of an area of land, especially marsh-land
- (obsolete except in dialects) a strip of meat
- a strip of leather used to fit the heels of a shoe
- (Basket-making) a single rod woven in and out of the stakes
- a rocky slope, especially the area over a river valley; specifically, the Rand
- The currency of South Africa, divided into 100 cents.
- bay (herb)
From Germanic *randaz (m), *randō (f), from Indo-European *rent- ‘cut’.
Indo-European cognates: Lithuanian ręsti
- IPA: /rɑnd/
rand m. (plural randas)
- edge, brink, margin
- (poetic) boss (of a shield); shield
- He under rande gecranc: he sank under his shield. (Beowulf)
- English: rand
Elsewhere on the web