Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The greatest mistake a man can make is to be afraid of making one.Elbert Hubbard
Third person singular
- To reduce to a fine, unmixed, or pure state; to free from impurities; to free from dross or alloy; to separate from extraneous matter; to purify; as, to refine gold or silver; to refine iron; to refine wine or sugar.
- To purify from what is gross, coarse, vulgar, inelegant, low, and the like; to make elegant or excellent; to polish; as, to refine the manners, the language, the style, the taste, the intellect, or the moral feelings.
- To become pure; to be cleared of feculent matter.
- To improve in accuracy, delicacy, or excellence.
- To affect nicety or subtlety in thought or language.
- Catalan: refinar (1,2,3,4)
- Dutch: verfijnen
- Finnish: jalostaa (1,2,4)
- French: raffiner, affiner, perfectionner
- Portuguese: refinar
Elsewhere on the web