Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- (RP, US): enPR: rə-fyo͞ot, IPA: /rɪˈfjuːt/, /rəˈfjut/, SAMPA: /rI"fju:t/, /r@"fjut/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -uːt
Third person singular
- (transitive) To prove (something) to be false or incorrect.
- (transitive) To deny the truth or correctness of (something).
The second meaning of refute (to deny the truth of) is proscribed as erroneous by some[Who?]. An alternative term with such a meaning is repudiate, which means to reject or refuse to acknowledge, but without the implication of justification. However, this distinction does not exist in the original Latin refūtō (“‘oppose, resist, rebut’”), which can apply to both senses.
- (prove (something) to be false): demonstrate, prove
- (deny the truth or correctness): accept, embrace
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web