Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- Rhymes: -uːv
Third person singular
- (transitive) To move something from one place to another, especially to take away
- He removed the marbles from the bag.
- (transitive) To murder someone
- (cricket),(transitive) To dismiss a batsman
- (intransitive) To change one's residence
- The act of removing something, especially removing a dish at a meal in order to replace it with the next course
- A dish thus replaced, or the replacement
- (UK) (at some public schools) A division of the school, especially the form prior to last
- A step or gradation (as in the phrase "at one remove")
- OED 2nd edition 1989
Elsewhere on the web