Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To say something in return; to answer; to reply.
- (intransitive) To act in return; to exhibit some action or effect in return to a force or stimulus; to do something in response; to accord.
- (intransitive) To correspond; to suit.
- (transitive) To satisfy; to answer.
- The prisoner was held to respond the judgment of the court.
- A response.
- A versicle or short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
- (architecture) A half-pillar, pilaster, or any corresponding device engaged in a wall to receive the impost of an arch.
- "respond" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web