Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love never reasons, but profusely gives; it gives like a thoughtless prodigal its all, and then trembles least it has done to little.Hannah More
- Rhymes: -ʌnə(r)
- Agent noun of run; somebody who runs.
- (slang) A quick escape away from a scene.
- He did a runner after robbing the drugstore
- A type of soft-soled shoe originally intended for runners, cf trainer; a sneaker.
- A part of an apparatus that moves quickly
- After the cycle completes, the runner travels back quickly to be in place for the next cycle.
- A mechanical part intended for wheels to run on or to slide against another surface.
- A strip of fabric used to decorate a table.
- The red runner makes the table so festive.
- A protective carpet cover for a high traffic area.
- How about we put down a clear runner in the front hall.
- (scuffleball) a forward playing position.
- (cricket) a player who runs for a batsman who is too injured to run; he is dressed exactly as the injured batsman, and carries a bat.
- (baseball) A player who runs the bases.
- (Australian rules football) A person (from one or the other team) who runs out onto the field during the game to take verbal instructions from the coach to the players. A runner mustn't interfere with play, and may have to wear an identifying shirt to make clear his or her purpose on the field.
- The runner was out at second.
- (slang) A part of a cigarette that is burning unevenly.
- (botany) A long stolon sent out by a plant (such as strawberry), in order to root new plantlets.
somebody who runs
a quick escape away from a scene
a mechanical part intended for wheels to run on or to slide against another surface
a strip of fabric used to decorate a table
a protective carpet cover for a high traffic area
Elsewhere on the web