Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
It is difficult to lay aside a confirmed passion.Catullus
to search (third-person singular simple present search, present participle es, simple past and past participle -)
Third person singular
- (transitive) To look throughout (a place) for something. To try and find something.
- I searched the garden for the keys and found them in the vegetable patch.
- (intransitive) (followed by "for") To look thoroughly.
- The police are searching for evidence in his flat.
- (transitive: look throughout (a place) for something): comb, scour
- (intransitive: look thoroughly): look for, comb, scour
look throughout (a place) for something
look thoroughly for
- An act of searching.
- (computing) An act of searching for information using a search engine or searching a database, form, table of values and or other applicable items.
- binary search
- breadth-first search
- depth-first search
- global search and replace
- search and replace
- search engine
- search light
- search party
- search warrant
act of searching
act of searching using a search engine
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web