Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
I love a hand that meets my own with a grasp that causes some sensation.Samuel Osgood
- IPA: /sɪˈmæntɪks/
- (linguistics) A branch of linguistics studying the meaning of words.
- The study of the relationship between words and their meanings.
- The individual meanings of words, as opposed to the overall meaning of a passage.
- You're arguing semantics and completely ignoring my point.
- algebraic semantics
- axiomatic semantics
- computational semantics
- denotational semantics
- formal semantics
- lexical semantics
- mathematical semantics
- operational semantics
- statistical semantics
science of the meaning of words
study of the relationship between words and their meanings
individual meanings of words
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Elsewhere on the web