Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Seek not happiness too greedily, and be not fearful of unhappiness.Lao-Tzu
Third person singular
- (idiomatic) To leave; to begin a journey or trip.
- He set off in search of better opportunities.
- (idiomatic) To begin; to cause; to initiate.
- I had no idea that one simple comment would set off such a huge argument.
- (idiomatic) To cause to explode.
- What a tragedy, that someone would set off a bomb in a crowded place.
- To count an addition in one thing against a reduction in something else.
- My taxes did not increase because the amount of my raise was set off by my losses in the stock market.
To begin; to cause; to initiate
To cause to explode
To count an addition in one thing against a reduction in something else
Elsewhere on the web