Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Every time I look into the eyes of an animal I see life; the force of life and the beauty of creationRadar O'Reilly
to sister (third-person singular simple present -, present participle -, simple past and past participle -)
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (UK) IPA: /ˈsɪstə/, SAMPA: /"sIst@/
- (US) enPR: sĭs'tər, IPA: /ˈsɪstɚ/, SAMPA: /"sIst@`/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -ɪstə(r)
- a daughter of the same parents as another person; a female sibling.
- My little sister is an annoying pest.
- a female member of a religious community; a nun.
- (UK) a senior or supervisory nurse, often in a hospital.
- any woman or girl with whom a bond is felt through common membership of a race, profession, religion or organization, such as feminism.
- Connie was very close to her friend Judy and considered her to be her sister.
- (slang) a black woman
- (informal) a form of address to a woman
- What’s up, sister?
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) Of or relating to an entity that has a special or affectionate relationship with another
- sister publication
- sister city
- (woman or girl with the same parents): (slang) sis
- (member of religious community): nun
- (supervisory nurse): charge nurse (the male equivalent)
- (informal: form of address to a woman): darling, dear, (US) lady, love, miss, (northern UK) pet
- (with regards to gender) brother
- (daughter of common parents): sibling
woman or girl having the same parents
a nun; a female member of a religious community
any woman or girl with whom a bond is felt
attributively: of an entity that has a special relationship with another
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Third person singular
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To strengthen (a supporting beam) by fastening a second beam alongside it.
- I’m trying to correct my sagging floor by sistering the joists.
Elsewhere on the web