Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
If I place love above everything, it is because for me it is the most desperate, the most despairing state of affairs imaginable.Andre Breton
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (countable) A long-standing group of people sharing cultural aspects such as language, dress, norms of behavior and artistic forms.
- This society has been known for centuries for its colorful clothing and tight-knit family structure.
- (countable) A group of people who meet from time to time to engage in a common interest.
- (countable) The sum total of all voluntary interrelations between individuals.
- (uncountable) The people of one’s country or community taken as a whole.
- It’s not for society to decide whether I can play the didgeridoo in my own home.
- He thinks that the fact that this child grew up to be a murderer is the fault of society.
- (uncountable) high society.
- Smith was first introduced into society at the Duchess of Grand Fenwick's annual rose garden party.
- (law) A number of people joined by mutual consent to deliberate, determine and act a common goal.
group of people sharing culture
group of persons who meet from time to time to engage in a common interest
people of one’s country or community as a whole
Elsewhere on the web