Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Life is an uphill business for the guy who's not on the level.John Welsh
- Rhymes: -ænə(r)
- (UK) A hand tool for adjusting nuts and bolts.
- Pass me that spanner, Jake; there's just one more nut to screw in.
- (Weapon) A hand tool shaped like a small crank handle, for winding the spring of a wheel lock on a musket.
- 1786, Fig. 10. The spanner for spanning or winding up the spring of the wheel lock. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page xvi.
- (idiomatic) (UK) A problem, dilemma or obstacle; something unexpected or troublesome
- (UK, Template loop detected: Template:context 2) A stupid or unintelligent person; one prone to making mistakes, especially in language.
- wrench (US)
hand tool for adjusting nuts and bolts
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web