Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- (botany) The above-ground stalk (technically axis) of a vascular plant, and certain anatomically similar, below-ground organs such as rhizomes, bulbs, tubers, and corms.
- A slender supporting member of an individual part of a plant such as a flower or a leaf; also, by analogue the shaft of a feather.
- A narrow part on certain man-made objects, such as a wine glass, a tobacco pipe, a spoon.
- (linguistics) The main part of an uninflected word to which endings may be added to form inflections of the word.
- (typography) A vertical stroke of a letter.
- (music) A vertical stroke of a symbol representing a note in written music.
- (nautical) The vertical or nearly vertical forward extension of the keel, to which the forward ends of the planks or strakes are attached. (FM 55-501).
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Third person singular
- To descend in a family line.
- To be caused or derived; to originate.
- The current crisis stems from the short-sighted politics of the previous government.
- To take out the stem from something.
- To stop, hinder (for instance, a river or blood).
- stem a tide
- (skiing) To move the feet apart and point the tips of the skis inward in order to slow down the speed or to facilitate a turn.
Elsewhere on the web