Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Old French estrange (“‘foreign, alien’”), from [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] extraneus (“‘foreign, external’”), from extra (“‘outside of’”).
- See strange
- A person whom one does not know; a person who is neither a friend nor an acquaintance.
- An outsider or foreigner
- 1961, Robert Heinlein: “Stranger in a Strange Land”
- A newcomer.
- (person whom one does not know):
- (outsider, foreigner): alien, foreigner, foreign national, non-national/nonnational, non-resident/nonresident, outsider
- (newcomer): newbie, newcomer
- (person whom one does not know): acquaintance, friend
- (outsider, foreigner): compatriot, coutryman, fellow citizen, fellow countryman, national, one of us, resident
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web