Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Love is the master key which opens the gates of happiness.Oliver Wendell Holmes
Third person singular
- (transitive) To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strength of; as, to strengthen a limb, a bridge, an army; to strengthen an obligation; to strengthen authority; to fortify; to reinforce.
- (transitive) To animate; to give moral strength; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
- (transitive) To augment; to improve; to intensify.
- (intransitive) To grow strong or stronger.
- 1851: Anonymous, Arthur Hamilton, and His Dog
- A little hardship, and a little struggling with the rougher elements of life, will perchance but strengthen and increase his courage, and prepare him for the conflicts and struggles of after years.
to make strong or stronger
to grow strong or stronger
Elsewhere on the web