Visit the forum if you have a language query!
- An act of stroking.
- She gave the cat a stroke.
- A blow or hit.
- A line drawn with a pen or pencil.
- A streak of paint made with a brush.
- The time when a clock strikes.
- on the stroke of midnight
- A thrust of a piston.
- A particular style of swimming.
- (medicine) The loss of brain function arising when the blood supply to the brain is suddenly interrupted.
- A single movement with a tool.
- A single act of striking with a weapon.
- (golf) A single act of striking at the ball with a club.
- (tennis)The hitting of a ball with a racket, or the movement of the racket and arm that produces that impact.
- (rowing) The movement of an oar or paddle through water, either the pull which actually propels the vessel or a single entire cycle of movement including the pull.
- (rowing) The rower who is nearest the stern of the boat.
- In professional wrestling, backstage influence.
- (cricket) The action of hitting the ball with the bat; a shot.
- (UK) The symbol "/".
- (squash) A point awarded to a player in case of interference or obstruction by the opponent, see Wikipedia's article on squash for more information.
- (act of stroking): caress
- (blow): blow, hit
- (made with a pen): stroke of the pen
- (made with a brush): brushstroke
- (time when a clock strikes): hour
- (thrust of a piston): push, thrust
- (particular style of swimming):
- (in medical sense): cerebrovascular accident, CVA
- (single movement with a tool):
- (act of striking with a weapon): blow
- (in golf):
- (in tennis):
- (in rowing):
- (in wrestling):
- (in cricket): shot
- (symbol): forward slash (in computing), shilling sign (UK, dated), slant, slash (especially in computing), solidus, virgule
Third person singular
- (transitive) To move the hand over the surface of (something) in one direction.
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To hit the ball with the bat in a flowing motion.
Elsewhere on the web