Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self.Hugo Black
See also SWAG
- Rhymes: -æɡ
- A burglar's or thief's booty; boodle.
- (Australia) a bushmans' possessions tied up in a blanket and carried over the shoulder on a long stick.
- handouts, freebies or giveaways, such as those handed out at conventions. (The backronym "Stuff We All Get" has been suggested for this meaning, but it is probably not the etymology.)
- a wild guess or ballpark estimate (The backronyms "Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess" "Stupid Wild Ass Guess" and "Scientific Wild Ass Guess" have been suggested for this meaning, but it is probably not the etymology but rather a backronym.)
- I can take a swag at the answer, but it may not be right.
- a loop of draped fabric
- low grade or cheap marijuana; however this is usually spelled schwag, schwagg, or shwag.
- loop of draped fabric
- 2005, Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty, Bloomsbury Publishing, paperback edition, 438
- He looked in bewilderment at number 24, the final house with its regalia of stucco swags and bows.
- French: butin m.
- bushman's possessions in a drape
Elsewhere on the web