Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
A pity beyond all telling is hid in the heart of love.William Butler Yeats
Old English þistel
- Rhymes: -ɪsəl
- Any of several perennial composite plants, especially of genera Cirsium, Carduus, Cynara or Onopordum, having prickly leaves and showy flower heads with prickly bracts.
- The national emblem of Scotland.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), Genesis 3:18
- Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
- blessed thistle
- bull thistle
- Canada thistle
- globe thistle
- Russian thistle
- sow thistle
- star thistle
- thistle butterfly
- "thistle" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web