Visit the forum if you have a language query!
(Verification for this etymology is sought): Old English þrescold This comes from the practice of placing a board to prevent the thresh or straw from leaving the house. Thresh was placed on stone floors to aid in traction.
- The bottom-most part of a doorway that one crosses to enter; a sill.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) An entrance
- The start of the landing area of a runway
- (engineering) The quantitative point at which an action is triggered, especially a lower limit
- The wage or salary at which income tax becomes due
- The outset of an action or project
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web