Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
The aim of life is some way of living, as flexible and gentle as human nature; so that ambition may stoop to kindness, and philosophy to condor and humor. Neither prosperity nor empire nor heaven can be worth winning at the price of a virulent temper, bloody hands, an anguished spirit, and a vain hatred of the rest of the world.George Santayana
|Rank of this word in the English language, from analyzing texts from Project Gutenberg.|
- (RP) enPR: tōn, IPA: /təʊn/, SAMPA: /t@Un/
- (GenAm) enPR: tōn, IPA: /toʊn/, SAMPA: /toUn/
- help, file
- Rhymes: -əʊn
- (music) A specific pitch.
- (music) (in the diatonic scale) An interval of a major second.
- (music) (in a Gregorian chant) A recitational melody.
- The character of a sound, especially the timbre of an instrument or voice.
- (linguistics) The pitch of a word that distinguishes a difference in meaning, for example in Chinese.
- (literature) The manner in which speech or writing is expressed.
- The shade or quality of a colour.
- The definition and firmness of a muscle or organ.
specific pitch, quality and duration; a note
interval of a major second
character of a sound, especially the timbre of an instrument or voice
pitch of a word that distinguishes a difference in meaning
manner in which speech or writing is expressed
shade or quality of a colour
firmness of a muscle or organ
sheets of sticky plastic with dots printed on them used to create comic books
Third person singular
- (transitive) to give a particular tone to
- (transitive) to change the colour of
- (transitive) to make (something) firmer
- (intransitive) to harmonize, especially in colour
- (give a particular tone to):
- (change the colour of): color/colour, dye, paint, tint
- (make firmer): firm, firm up, tone up
- (harmonize): harmonise/harmonize
Elsewhere on the web