Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
It is useless to send armies against ideas.George Brandes
- That which is higher, contrasted with the lower.
- As the restless sleeper here, I'll take the lower berth. You take the upper.
- (Template loop detected: Template:context 1) The piece of leather, etc., that forms the top part of a shoe above the sole; a vamp.
- A stimulant such as amphetamine that increases energy and decreases appetite.
- At a higher level, rank or position
- Situated on higher ground, further inland, or more northerly.
- (archaeology, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) of a later division of some period
- (politics) In a bicameral system, the generally smaller and less representative house.
- (education) A secondary school. For pupils aged about 14 upward
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- on one's uppers — destitute
Elsewhere on the web