Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Happiness is not a possession to be prized. It is a quality of thought, a state of mind.Daphne Du Maurier
- (countable) An exorbitant rate of interest in excess of any legal rates.
- (uncountable) The practice of lending money at such rates as are not legal or fair.
- (uncountable) (archaic) The practice of lending money at interest.
- "The most hated sort, and with the greatest reason, is usury, which makes a gain out of money itself, and not from the natural object of it. For money was intended to be used in exchange, but not to increase at interest."
exorbitant rate of interest in excess of any legal rates
practice of lending money at illegal or unfair rates
- to be checked
- "usury" in the Online Etymology Dictionary, Douglas Harper, 2001
Elsewhere on the web