Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
My happiness derives from knowing the people I love are happy.Holly Ketchel
- hyphenation: van·gi·ta
- IPA: /'vɑŋːitɑ(ʔ)/
vangita (stem vangi-*)
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To imprison, incarcerate, jail (put in prison; both in legal contexts and elsewhere).
- (transitive, Template loop detected: Template:context 1) To arrest, place under arrest, take into custody, put in detention (both in legal contexts and elsewhere).
- In the sense "to arrest" pidättää and vangita can be used synonymously in general language, but in a legal context pidättää means "to arrest (for a limited time, under habeas corpus)", whereas vangita means "to arrest or detain (due court order)".
- (to arrest etc.): pidättää
- Impersonal indicative present connegative form of vangita.
Elsewhere on the web