Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.Amy Carmichael
- The diagonal slash character - /, used to separate parts of text, and to represent the word per in expressions such as feet/second.
virgule f. (plural virgules)
- comma (punctuation mark)
- (mathematics) decimal point (see usage notes)
- En Europe continentale, la virgule permet de noter la partie décimale; pi vaut environ 3,1415. — In continental Europe, the comma is used to denote the decimal part; pi is about 3.1415.
- In France, a comma is used to separate the whole and decimal parts of a decimal, while a point (dot) is used to mark off thousands, the opposite notation to that used in English-speaking countries. So "100,000.9" ("one-hundred thousand point 9") is written in French as "100.000,9".
- In mathematics, the translation is "decimal point", but "comma" can be a more appropriate translation. For example, il y a trois décimales après la virgule translates as there are three decimal places after the decimal point, but En France, on sépare la partie entière et la partie décimale avec une virgule is better translated as In France, you separate the whole and decimal parts with a comma rather than ... with a decimal point, as the former explains which symbol is used and the latter is misleading.
- IPA: ['vir.gu.le]
virgule f. pl.
- Plural form of virgulă. commas
Elsewhere on the web