Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Of uncertain origin; most likely from a 1993 dance catch-phrase “whoot, there it is!”, but other theories exist, such as that it is a blend of wow and loot (as might be exclaimed during a role-playing game), an acronym for “we owned the other team”, a corruption of root (as might be exclaimed by a hacker on obtaining root access), or a derivative of Scots hoot.
- (Internet slang) Used to express joy, particularly that felt during success or victory.
- w00t I've won this special item.
- news:alt.test, Jan 8 1996, 1:00 am
- Reuters: "w00t" crowned word of year by U.S. dictionary
- ABC News: Merriam-Webster's Word of '07: 'W00t'
- Grant Barrett, “The Real History and Origin of Woot and w00t” (2007 December 12)
Elsewhere on the web