Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Live as you would have wished to live when you come to die.Gellert
Third person singular
- (intransitive) To free or separate grain or the like from chaff or refuse matter, usually by means of wind.
- (intransitive) To move about with a flapping motion, as of wings; to flutter.
- (transitive) To fan; set in motion by means of wind; specifically, to expose (grain) to a current of air in order to separate and drive off chaff, refuse particles, etc.
- (transitive) To blow upon; to toss about by blowing.
- (transitive) To separate, expel, or disperse by or as by fanning or blowing; to sift or weed out; to separate or distinguish, as one thing from another.
- (transitive) To set in motion or vibration; to beat as with a fan or wings.
- (Can we verify(+) this sense?) (transitive) To wave to and fro; to flutter; to flap.
- (transitive) To pursue or accomplish with a waving or flapping motion, as of wings.
- (transitive) Figuratively, to subject to a process analogous to the winnowing of grain; to separate into parts according to kind; to sift; to analyze or scrutinize carefully; to examine; to test.
- That which winnows or which is used in winnowing; a contrivance for fanning or winnowing grain.
- "winnow" at The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
Elsewhere on the web