Visit the forum if you have a language query!
Definition from Dictionary, a free dictionary
Man's love is of man's life a part; it is a woman's whole existence. In her first passion, a woman loves her lover, in all the others all she loves is love.Lord Byron
- (countable) A tree or shrub of the genus Taxus, with dark-green flat needle like leaves and seeds bearing red arils.
- (uncountable) The wood of the yew.
- 1786: To prevent a too great consumption of yew, bowyers were directed to make four bows of witch-hazel, ash or elm, to one of yew, and no person under seventeen years of age, unless possessed of moveables worth forty marks, of the son of parents having an estate of ten pounds per annum might shoot in an yew bow, under a penalty of 6s. 8d. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page 37.
tree or shrub
wood of the yew
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Adjectiveyew (not comparable)
- Made from the wood of the yew tree.
Elsewhere on the web