Visit the forum if you have a language query!
From Middle English senith from cinit from Old French cenit and/or [[w:Template:lang:la language|Template:lang:la]][[Category:Template:lang:la derivations]] cenit from Arabic السَّمْت (as-samt), “‘direction of heads’”).
- IPA: /'zen.iθ/
- The point in the celestial sphere opposite the nadir.
- The point in the sky vertically above a given position or observer.
- The highest point in the sky reached by a celestial body.
- 1719- Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
- ...in the middle of the day, when the sun was in the zenith, the violence of the heat was too great to stir out...
- Highest point or state; peak.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Elsewhere on the web